Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Billy Bragging it

I am sitting in bed having just returned from rushing Franklin street. Not wanting to turn politics into a kind of sport, I was never much for chanting slogans but as I stood in the center of a mob of young people filling the intersection singing the star spangled banner and chanting "yes we did" I have never been so proud of my country. As we all hugged and danced and cheered I felt overwhelmed with the power of young energy and hope.
In no state did we matter as much as in North Carolina. Obama won by only .4% which comes out to a 13,000 people difference (that is thousands less than the population of my school!). The only age group that voted more for Obama than McCain was the 18 to 29 year olds. I can proudly say that I voted and my vote mattered.
I have no illusions that Obama is going to correct every problem that our nation faces. That he will be able to right the wrongs that have happened within our boarders and around the world. Young people have finally showed that we have a very real effect on elections and this means we will have more of a voice on issues. We must use this power to hold our new president accountable. He will succeed in meeting some of our expectations and fail at meeting others but we cannot be disheartened. We must continue with passion to make sure that the next four years are all they can be.
I suppose this relates to rehabilitation because it is just one of the many issues that we must hold our new president, Barack Obama, accountable for making positive changes to. But really what this post is about isn't my blog issue, it is about my complete happiness to be an American. I have always loved the country I live in, it is my home, and the home of those I love, but tonight I could finally be proud of something beyond intangible ideals.

4 comments:

Volt-Air said...

I love mobs also. When you throw patriotism into a mob it just gets better.

Obama's victory in North Carolina is impressive. This is the first time I have seen North Carolina a blue state.

laurel said...

The last time that North Carolina was blue was in 1976 when Carter was elected. It really takes the nation being in a terrible condition for North Carolina to make this change but at least it happened.

john said...

I can honestly see where you are coming from because it is such a good and forward step for not only just America, but the world. America to vote for a black president is the biggest step to put race issues behind us. I had few cold ones with my friends just for the occasion and I think that goes for many people.
That fact that young people where the main voters for Obama, I think it's a positive image for our future and generations to come.

American Blogger said...

Although i couldn't vote, i was truly proud to be an american on nov.4 this is the proudest moment in american history that i have yet to witness.